Thursday, May 27, 2010

Recipe Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Last night we had a wonderful meal complete with smiles and empty bowls and some asked for the recipe so I thought I would start posting them on here instead of taking up room on another website we shall not mention haha! So at any rate here is the recipe for Chicken Gnocchi Soup. I order this soup at Olive Garden all the time but it is getting way to expensive to eat out anymore so I wanted to find a way to make this at home and save a few bucks while I was at it... Hope you enjoy!


Chicken Gnocchi Soup

1 cup chicken breasts, cooked and diced (you can use a rotisserie chicken)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 quart half and half
1 14 ounce can chicken broth
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrots, finely shredded
1 cup onion, finely diced
1 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin oil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon parsley
Freshly grated parmesan cheese – optional
1 pound potato gnocchi – can buy this in the gourmet section of many supermarkets
Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter, when the onion becomes translucent, add the flour, and make a roux, let the butter and flour mixture cook for about a minute before adding 1 quart of half and half.

Cook gnocchi according to package directions.

Into the roux add in the carrots, celery, and chicken. Once the mixture becomes thick add the chicken broth. Once the mixture thickens again, add the cooked gnocchi, spinach, and seasonings.

Comments about this recipe: I used 2 cups of whole milk and 1 cup of heavy cream to make the soup a little creamer and give it more flavor. Also instead of parsley I used fresh basil, chopped and sprinkled in the soup. I hope you all enjoy this as it has become a favorite in our house. Happy Eating!

1 comment:

my life is a mosaic... said...

Sound delicious! I'm going to have to try this...