Wednesday, January 20, 2010

FOOD!

I have to admit a very dark and dirty secret... I LOVE FOOD, there I said it. I am a girl who Loves food. I love thinking of new recipes and new creations on old ones. I love baking and trying out new and interesting deserts to complement all those new main dish recipes that I create at a whim. Paul laughs at me, because I am a planner, I plan menus so I can make grocery lists, I make to do lists and making a menu and grocery list are always at the top. I have the whole 2 weeks planned out (we get paid every 2 weeks, so payday= new menu) and yet there are days I just don't feel like making what was on the menu that day, so there in lies my problem. I need to tell my mind to shut off and just stick to the menu and not try to come up with something new, but how?
Last night was no exception to the never ending problem I have with food. A twist on a recent favorite... Grilled Stuffed Burritos. I made some shredded chicken the other night and had leftovers, so instead of using some ground turkey (we use this instead of ground beef) like usual I decided to change things up and use the leftover chicken. I added some smokey chipotle sauce, cilantro, onions and simmered it together to reheat the chicken, yummy. Heated the tortillas, added refried beans (as glue), Spanish rice came next, topped with chicken mixture, cheese and then topped with homemade salsa, rolled and sealed with a hot pan of 2T EVOO. Yummy!!! Problem is it didn't stop there... Tonight I found myself setting out the ingredients I need for dinner tonight and then Wham... I completely changed my mind. So instead of a pasta dish I was going to try we are now having Pan Seared Pork Chops, Apple Chutney, Rosemary Lemon Roasted Potatoes and Homemade Caramel Apple Empanadas. So my question for the day is Have you ever had a menu in mind and you were bit by the creative bug and changed it up? If so What was your favorite recipe?

1 comment:

Miss Hope said...

Girl, it sounds like you're cooking up some good stuff there! My weakness is dessert. Oh, how I love a good sweet!